Sunday, August 11, 2013

CRONUTS! YOU AND I HAVE UNFINISHED BUSINESS



After this week's cronut experiment, I licked my wounds and decided to study further.  I have ordered a tiny donut cutter and a Bismarck tip.  Also, from my initial foray, decided to step away from the pastry cream--finding it far too eggy/heavy with the fried/crisp--and try something different.

Now, never having eaten an authentic cronut, I can get the pastry cream idea.  These are not big things.  People get one, probably to share.  It's okay if it hits a little heavy.

Me, I'm making these.  I'll have a dozen in my clutches. After all, I only learned to cook so I could eat expensive food in roadside diner proportions without having to get a better job. A tablespoon of foie gras?  Je pense que non!

Besides, this is Jersey.

So after an intense text conversation with Miss Texas and some serious study of my new favorite website, Joe Pastry, I decided on the following options to taste:


All of these had a whipping cream base.  The only one not pictured is a jar of Trader Joe's cherry preserves.

In preparation for my next cronut battle, I decided to spar with this donut recipe from Epicurious, via the Flour Bakery in Boston, and was oh so careful with the frying temps and cut them out so VERY LITTLE. 



I glazed one in chocolate ganache and the other in a thin confectioner's sugar glaze.

After dinner, each judge received a vanilla and a chocolate and a selection of creams.  I decided not to fill, to allow the most combinations and flexibility.

Mother's Favorite:  Mascarpone with Cherry Preserves

The overall winner was LEMON CURD (lemon curd + whipped cream).  Followed by MASCARPONE plus CHERRY PRESERVES.  The glazes did not make much of a difference.

I will be avenged, cronuts.  I look forward to meeting you again in battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips