Sunday, August 25, 2013

Kouign Amann Part Deux





click here for part 3

click here for part 4

OK, remember how last time, I announced that I didn't care if Kouign Amann ever called again and she wasn't my best friend anymore.  And I would never, ever, ever talk to Kouign Amann and I didn't even want to hear her NAME ever, ever, ever, ever.  Then I stomped off to my room, slammed the door and threw myself on the bed crying??

Yeah, you knew that was crap, right?



Of course it was. 

After Joe and I didn't work out, I was mulling over two recipes:  this one from the Kitchn and one from David Lebovitz.  I decided on David's, it looked less fussy.  I had read so many stories of Breton landladies actually making these in the morning, it resembled a home--rather than a patisserie--version. 

And, thank you Joe, having the sugar against the butter did cause the dough to weep.  I was prepared for that and just pushed through as David's looked like a mess anyway.  A delicious, burnt, buttery mess.

The verdict?  Really wonderful.  Mine burnt a little too much on the bottom and sides -- I followed David's recommendation for a nonstick pan.  Should've gone with my first instinct -- a pyrex pie plate.  Oh, well.

 
Like a big piece of buttery candy. 

ETA:  Now I'm peeling the nonburnt parts off and eating over the sink.  STOP ME FROM EATING THIS THING.  Yes, it's better at room temperature.


click here for part 3

click here for part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips